Thursday, May 11, 2006
SayItRight :LIVING IN BLISS
The sweet chorus of incessant chirping fills the morning air. A yellow-breasted bird swoops down and lands atop a river branch. A family of monitor lizards basks lazily in the warm sun. Is this a scene out of the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve? Or a documentary clip on a wildlife sanctuary? No! This is the view from my 7-storey flat as you peer down at the Sungei Api Api river below. The same scenery we take in as we cross the bridge over the river to reach my daughters’ school.
Today I will like to share with you the joys of staying in my neighborhood – Pasir Ris, a place which I have lived in for the past 12 years.
Leisure pursuits
I love my neighborhood for its back-to-nature, resort-like feel. We have spent many a morning and evening on the bridge, simply gazing at the river, teeming with life. During high tide, the river is jade green and you can spot schools of fishes beneath its quiet waters. You may catch turtles paddling with their flippers, heads bobbing out of water. And if you are lucky, you may catch sight of the 2m-long water lizards taking their daily dip in the cool refreshing water!
But during low tide, the view is less pleasant, as the river becomes muddy brown with a tiny trickle of water. It looks barren - as barren as the desert under a hot scorching sun. But on scrutiny, you may see lively mudskippers flapping their fins to move on the muddy bed. The first time I saw them I didn’t know they were fish. They certainly give a new meaning to the term ‘fish out of water’!
If that isn’t enough, a short stroll or cycle along the river paths leads you to the Pasir Ris Park and beach. Our fave spot is the mangrove swamp. From the boardwalk, we enjoy spying on finger-long crabs crawling sideways from their hiding holes; water hens scuttling about and other wildlife in their natural habitat. We even once caught a glimpse of a brown squirrel scampering up the trees.
My children’s choice spot is no doubt the sprawling Pasir Ris Playground at the western tip of the park. A hot favorite is the swing, which strangely, nowadays you don’t find in many neighborhood playgrounds. We love the rush of wind over our faces as we swing wildly to our hearts’ delight! Another favorite is a structure, which we fondly call the Spider Web. It is a pyramid climbing frame made of inter-connecting ropes. This looks fine except that the summit is a daunting 3-storey high. Luckily the signboard says “No adults allowed” giving me the perfect excuse to stay on firm ground, safe and sound.
Convenience
Besides leisurely pursuits, I love my neighborhood for the convenience it offers. The local Elias mall is a stone’s throw away. Here we can find clinics, hair salons, wet market and supermarket, food courts and McDonalds’ to satisfy your hunger pangs and even a Toto-4D outlet to bet your lucky numbers. For more variety of shops, we can walk twelve minutes to the White Sands Shopping Mall next to the MRT station. With NTUC Fairprice outlet, pharmacies, the library and more restaurants, you are spoilt for choice. And for even more shopping, you can just hop on the MRT and the bustling Tampines Central is only one stop away.
Coming back nearer home, the school that my children attend is only 3 minutes’ walk away. So they can afford to wake up at 6.45am and still rush to school by 7.10 in time! The downside for the proximity is that I run the risk of getting calls at 10 am: “Mummy, can you bring me my Math homework? I accidentally left it!” I would drag myself to the school back gate and pass whatever’s forgotten to my sheepish daughter. Well I’ll just take it as good exercise!
Peeves
Being a popular spot with holidaymakers, Pasir Ris does come with its fair share of peeves. For example, the MRT, shopping centre and park tend to be over-crowded on weekends. Tekung army boys being picked up by doting parents on weekends only serves to compound the problem. It never fails to irk my husband when our car gets caught in a jam.
Another inconvenience is that it is a little far from town. It does take a full hour door-to-door to get to office if you factor in the walking between MRT and destination. Since I work from home at least for now, this is hardly an issue.
Staying On
Overall I am contented with my neighborhood. It is an idyllic place where you can unwind at the river, park and beach and a self-contained neighborhood with malls, schools and other modern day facilities.
I wouldn’t dare say I would live here forever. Much is dictated by the kids and their future schools. But until then, I am truly happy where I live in cozy bliss! A place I call home, a place called Pasir Ris!
22 Feb 2006
Today I will like to share with you the joys of staying in my neighborhood – Pasir Ris, a place which I have lived in for the past 12 years.
Leisure pursuits
I love my neighborhood for its back-to-nature, resort-like feel. We have spent many a morning and evening on the bridge, simply gazing at the river, teeming with life. During high tide, the river is jade green and you can spot schools of fishes beneath its quiet waters. You may catch turtles paddling with their flippers, heads bobbing out of water. And if you are lucky, you may catch sight of the 2m-long water lizards taking their daily dip in the cool refreshing water!
But during low tide, the view is less pleasant, as the river becomes muddy brown with a tiny trickle of water. It looks barren - as barren as the desert under a hot scorching sun. But on scrutiny, you may see lively mudskippers flapping their fins to move on the muddy bed. The first time I saw them I didn’t know they were fish. They certainly give a new meaning to the term ‘fish out of water’!
If that isn’t enough, a short stroll or cycle along the river paths leads you to the Pasir Ris Park and beach. Our fave spot is the mangrove swamp. From the boardwalk, we enjoy spying on finger-long crabs crawling sideways from their hiding holes; water hens scuttling about and other wildlife in their natural habitat. We even once caught a glimpse of a brown squirrel scampering up the trees.
My children’s choice spot is no doubt the sprawling Pasir Ris Playground at the western tip of the park. A hot favorite is the swing, which strangely, nowadays you don’t find in many neighborhood playgrounds. We love the rush of wind over our faces as we swing wildly to our hearts’ delight! Another favorite is a structure, which we fondly call the Spider Web. It is a pyramid climbing frame made of inter-connecting ropes. This looks fine except that the summit is a daunting 3-storey high. Luckily the signboard says “No adults allowed” giving me the perfect excuse to stay on firm ground, safe and sound.
Convenience
Besides leisurely pursuits, I love my neighborhood for the convenience it offers. The local Elias mall is a stone’s throw away. Here we can find clinics, hair salons, wet market and supermarket, food courts and McDonalds’ to satisfy your hunger pangs and even a Toto-4D outlet to bet your lucky numbers. For more variety of shops, we can walk twelve minutes to the White Sands Shopping Mall next to the MRT station. With NTUC Fairprice outlet, pharmacies, the library and more restaurants, you are spoilt for choice. And for even more shopping, you can just hop on the MRT and the bustling Tampines Central is only one stop away.
Coming back nearer home, the school that my children attend is only 3 minutes’ walk away. So they can afford to wake up at 6.45am and still rush to school by 7.10 in time! The downside for the proximity is that I run the risk of getting calls at 10 am: “Mummy, can you bring me my Math homework? I accidentally left it!” I would drag myself to the school back gate and pass whatever’s forgotten to my sheepish daughter. Well I’ll just take it as good exercise!
Peeves
Being a popular spot with holidaymakers, Pasir Ris does come with its fair share of peeves. For example, the MRT, shopping centre and park tend to be over-crowded on weekends. Tekung army boys being picked up by doting parents on weekends only serves to compound the problem. It never fails to irk my husband when our car gets caught in a jam.
Another inconvenience is that it is a little far from town. It does take a full hour door-to-door to get to office if you factor in the walking between MRT and destination. Since I work from home at least for now, this is hardly an issue.
Staying On
Overall I am contented with my neighborhood. It is an idyllic place where you can unwind at the river, park and beach and a self-contained neighborhood with malls, schools and other modern day facilities.
I wouldn’t dare say I would live here forever. Much is dictated by the kids and their future schools. But until then, I am truly happy where I live in cozy bliss! A place I call home, a place called Pasir Ris!
22 Feb 2006